Tuesday, June 3, 2008

We bought some wine and some paper cups

I have been rereading The Irresistible Revolution for my job this summer, hoping to maybe do a book study with some guys. If you have not read this book, I greatly recommend it. He speaks alot about being friends with poor people. I realize how much I suck at it. I don't have any friends that are homeless or that don't live in nice houses. I think the way we live would be changed alot if we actually knew people that were poor. I don't think we would buy as much dumb crap. I don't think we would get as caught up in wondering what the person next to us thinks about us.


I don't think that we would worry about ourselves as much. We should start caring more about our friends and people we haven't met. We should care about the environment, and not blow people that do care about it off as liberals or whatever. We should stop buying as much crap. We should stop drinking soda as much (that might just be me). We should start doing everything excellently, not half assed (everything I do is perfect).

Anyway, I have been thinking about alot of things lately, I am just choosing to not put them on here. But I would love to talk about it, so just ask.

I have great friends. My mexican coworker Alicia wants me to tell you that she is awesome. The people that work at Hillcrest Covenant make me believe in alot of things.



nicholas david welch

11 comments:

thomas park said...

that photo is unbelievably awesome.

+

he totally knows

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mallory.kiersten said...

you are not alone in the soda addiction, my friend.

oh, and i cannot wait to read that book!

nehemiah said...

i am working for the homeless this summer-the pay isn't great, but they usually have some pretty incredible stories.

and i like that old man.

meg said...

Hey!!! i met you at Dunn bros the other day and came across your blog via Billy's! Just wanted to say-great post. i read Irresistible Revolution this semester and it changed a lot of the things i think about. Crazy really... Good luck this summer!

karlie nicole cooper. said...

this is important: you should go to the hope faith shelter with me this saturday morning. it is an AMAZING place that offers homeless people food, clothing, and Jesus. You can go help people find clothes that will fit them, participate in bible studies led by other poor people who have found Jesus, etc. it is an amazing place. seriously, you should come. call me if you want to go!

Julie said...

i think i fixed it?

bec said...

maybe i will take my chair all around. just because you said so.

thanks for your words here. it's unfortunately pretty easy to convince myself that if i just had that tank top, or that cd, or a meal out, my life would somehow be better. so wrong.

also, it's very easy to become content with doing things half-assed. not that you apparently know how to relate to that, but i am pretty good at slacking myself.

i want to know the things you are choosing not to put on here. i'm curious now.

rachel rianne said...

that book made me want to live with the homeless this summer.
the amazing thing is that i'm finding out how inadequate i am as a follower of Christ and saying that i'm not willing to give up everything for him.
but i'll get there.
and i'm going to try as hard as i can to volunteer somewhere up here,
bc it's so easy to find the poor and homeless in portland.

anyway,
i saw this preview and thought you'd like it.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/kickingit/trailer/
i'll let you know if i find a way of seeing it sometime.

karlie nicole cooper. said...

oh man your quote by your about me is from such a good wilco song. i was thinking about those lyrics today and BAM there they are.

i haven't seen you all summer?

jill. said...

your mexican co-worker is right.