Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lord you know, I'll be there laughing

As the ruin falls
All this is flashy rhetoric about
loving you.

I never had a selfless thought
since I was born.
I am mercenary and
self-seeking
through and through;
I want God, you, all friends,
merely to serve my turn.

Peace, reassurance, pleasure,
are the gods I seek,
I cannot crawl an inch
outside my proper skin:

I talk of love - a scholar's parrot
may talk Greek-
But, self-imprisoned, always end
where I begin.

Only that now you have taught me
(but how late) my lack.
I see the chasm. And everything
you are was making
My heart into a bridge by which
I might get back
From exile, and grow man. And
now the bridge is breaking.
For this I bless you as the ruin
falls.

The pains
You give me are more precious
than all other gains.

As the Ruin Falls
Clive Staples Lewis





nicholas david welch

5 comments:

Unknown said...

love it so much.

exactly 2 days.

thomas park said...

that's my room

carloslima. said...

dude, i can't wait to see you again. looked like something was happening there right before i left. haha.

Shanna said...

so at first i was going to leave a comment about how hunky nick is (soooo true) but then i saw katie's comment and i was like "dang, maybe that's a really good poem and i should probably read it." so i did and then of course it made me cry, because everything always makes me cry.

annaliese said...

hey friend