Thursday, September 4, 2008

She stole my karma


I have been enjoying my classes this year. Well, two of them. My ethics class is pretty interesting, and people in the class having pretty narrow mindsets makes it all the more interesting. That and the fact that today my professor told a girl that without a DNA test there is no way of knowing whether or not he is her father.

My C.S Lewis class is really good. I always thought it was strange that there are professors who have devoted their lives to studying what he has written, and how he lived his life. After reading excerpts from essays he has written and some of his allegorical writings, I can understand why there is so much buzz around the man. I think Lewis is the most original writer of the christian faith that we have seen in a while. There are men like N.T. Wright, Os Guinness, and Dallas Willard who have an impressive resume up their sleeves, but it amazes me how much Lewis stands out.

That being said, there are two guys in my class that just say the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. It amazes me that they can speak so many words, but say nothing. If, when getting into serious conversations, your voice becomes slightly lower, your speech becomes significantly slower, your brow becomes furrowed, and your words become drastically larger and more impressive than ones you typically use... you are probably just like these two young men.

"An embryo can experience rejection, and by the same token, experience love."

1. You stole that line straight out of page 79 of our book.
2. Nobody talks like that in real life. Especially not baseball players.


My good friend Benjamin thinks that one of these guys looks like the robots in iRobot and I agree.

On a slightly more positive note, I feel like I gained a great deal of tolerance in my life the past few days. That is great because I dislike disliking people.

If you have not met Katie Ann Kindler you need to not only do so, but ask her about her life. It is the coolest thing I have ever heard. Seriously.

nicholas david welch

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you're my favorite person.

Kelsie said...

I agree 100% with your last statement....well I agree with everything you said....but especially the part about Kate. Anyways. I'm glad you two found each other! She's one of my most favorite people.

thomas park said...

this was a good post. really.

also, it ended with a shout-out to kate. but instead, you made it sound more civil, instead of one of those gangsta shoutouts.

nahwhamean?

oh also, those dudes sound like dbags.

bec said...

i too have a liking for katie kindler.

i am somewhat jealous that you have the opportunity to take a class on c.s. lewis.

your take on the guys in your class is awesome and hilarious too.