Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Leave your familiar alone, you damned magician, and attend to me.


Why do people in ministry (i.e. churches) place so much value on a degree? A piece of paper. You can almost get nowhere without a degree. You will not be taken seriously, as if whatever idea you might have will magically become validated after you have 30 more hours of classes under your belt.

Let me tell you what those 30 hours will do for me... nothing. I will learn how argue more/better. I will learn a few more big words, how to write a 60 page paper. I will learn that some professors are terrified of the emergent church and know nothing about it. I will listen to the thoughts of terribly arrogant people. My dreams will be stifled by papers, reading the same things repeatedly, judgement, lack of movement, lack of interest, lack of creativity, and boredom. I will be surrounded by a few friends who inspire me and encourage me, aside from those friends, I will grow stagnant and bitter.

I wish these were not the case, but thus far, they have proven themselves time and time again. I wish that I was a person who could look at negative situations and see the positive, and I am trying to become that person, but I am not him yet.

So tell me, church, do you really want to wait a year to hear the things I have to say, and follow through with my ideas after I go through all of this? Sure I will have a few more credit hours under my belt, but I will have absolutely no more ministry experience. I suppose that experience isn't really what you are after is it?

It's that stupid piece of paper.

nicholas david welch

2 comments:

adam paul said...

praise alluia to ya.

Unknown said...

you are saying good things. i like you. lets have kids.